Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cashew Cheese

This is a very popular recipe around our here--in fact, we make it about once a week. I originally found it in Vegetarian Times, and have simplified it through the years down to the four essential ingredients: cashews, salt, lemon juice, and water. We use this in place of cream cheese, or to add creaminess and zip to tacos, or for making grilled "cheese" sandwiches. A recent and delicious variation was to add about 1 TB of minced fresh rosemary and 1 grated clove of garlic to make an herb spread. It is a versatile recipe, so have fun with it!

Cashew Cheese
Makes about 1 cup

Ingredients
3/4 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
2 TB water
3/4 tsp salt

Preparation
  • Place cashews in a bowl or large jar and cover with 3 inches of water. Soak overnight (up to 24 hours).
  • Drain soaking liquid, rinse cashews, and puree in blender or food processor with remaining ingredients until smooth and creamy. 
  • Transfer to a container and cover. Let sit at room temperature ~12 hours or overnight, then transfer to the fridge where it will keep for about a week. Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. I've been having a hankering for bleu cheese lately. Have you ever tried or thought of making a bleu cashew cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never a fan of bleu cheese so it never crossed my mind! I have no idea how that could be done, but if you experiment let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this today. I happened to have some fresh lemon juice on hand, and some cashews. It's restin' now and we're looking forward to sampling it tomorrow. Since I can't tolerate lactose, I do love vegan alternatives. Thanks, Alanna!

    Sorry, I can't figure out how to input my name--Mary O

    ReplyDelete