Saturday, November 26, 2011

Homemade Lip Balm

Lip balm is something I use daily, so I thought I'd try making some of my own. After B secured some lovely organic, cosmetic-grade beeswax from the farmer's market, I was ready to go. It turned out to be very easy to make... though I did end up making a huge mess. But, next time will be easier!

I used SouleMama's recipe for peppermint lip balm as a jumping off point. I wanted to do something even simpler, and love the natural scent and flavor of pure coconut oil, so I decided not to add any peppermint or other oils. I also cut the amounts in half since it was the first time I had tried the recipe.

Here are the steps I followed:

  • Melt 1.5 TB beeswax and 4 TB coconut oil (organic, unrefined for best results) in a double boiler
  • After they have cooled a few minutes but the contents are still liquid, pour into containers. I used a mix of re-used (but clean) lip balm tubes that I had been saving for this purpose, as well as small glass jars (those individual-serving jam jars that you get at fancy breakfast places).
  • After cooling to room temperature, they will solidify. You may want to store in the fridge, especially if using unrefined coconut oil.
  • As for clean-up, I read (after the fact, unfortunately) that baking soda is a great way to remove the resulting greasy mess.
I have to say, I love the results, and look forward to experimenting more with this basic recipe in the future!

1 comment:

  1. ooh, thanks for the baking soda tip. good to know! i made a few pots of lip balm last spring (coconut oil, beeswax, lavender oil), and now own a wax covered jar and chopstick, from the hardened residue. (i used a jar in a pot as my double boiler and a chop stick for stirring). i figured it would just be my dedicated lip balm making equipment!

    ReplyDelete