Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce
1-2 TB olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large can (28 oz) tomatoes
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped or 2 TB pesto (optional)
- Blend the canned tomatoes, cashews and salt together until the mixture is smooth. (If you have an immersion blender, you can add these directly to the saucepan after cooking the garlic and blend at that point.)
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add minced garlic. Cook a few minutes until garlic is fragrant, but before it begins to brown.
- Add the tomato/cashew mixture to the pan. Add basil, if using.
- Bring to a simmer and cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally, for 15-30 minutes to allow the flavors time to marry (the longer the better). Beware, this mixture is quite bubbly and can be a little messy on the stovetop!
- Taste, and add more salt if desired.
- Cook ~1 lb of pasta of your choice, drain, and add sauce, stirring to coat. It may at first seem like a lot of sauce, but the noodles tend to soak up the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!