Makes 12 large cookies
- 1 cup almonds, pecans and/or walnuts
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (or a generous pinch of other favorite spices: ginger, cloves, cardamom...)
- Scant 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup oil (unrefined coconut oil is recommended if you have it, but canola or other neutral vegetable oil works just fine)
- 2 TB jam
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Process oats and nuts in a food processor until fairly smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl. Stir in whole wheat flour, spices, and salt.
- Add maple syrup and oil; mix well.
- Form batter into ~1.5" balls on a cookie sheet.
- Push a thumbprint gently into each ball.
- Fill each thumbprint with about 1/2 tsp of jam.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before eating.