This is our default "house tofu" recipe--it's simple, quick and delicious. It utilizes the same method as our tempeh soysage, which eliminates the need for marinating the tofu beforehand. The recipe below is for one block of tofu, but we always cook up two at a time so that we'll have some leftovers the following day.
Sweet and Savory Tofu
1 block (about 1 lb) extra-firm tofu
1 TB oil
2 TB maple syrup
2 TB soy sauce
2-3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
Press the tofu for 15 minutes to 1 hour to drain out the excess liquid, which will give the finished product a firmer texture. If you skip this, it is helpful to towel it off before pan-frying so that you don't get as much oil splatter.
2. Cut the tofu into your preferred shape (we use small rectangles).
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add tofu. Cook on medium-high until one side is golden, then flip and brown the other side. If you are cooking more than one block of tofu, you can remove the first batch and cook the second in the same pan.
4. While the tofu is cooking, prepare the marinade. In a small bowl, mix together the maple syrup, soy sauce and minced garlic.
5. When all the tofu is browned, add the marinade. Make sure that all pieces of tofu get well coated.
6. Cook until most of the marinade is evaporated and the garlic is fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
6. Serve and enjoy!