Friday, August 17, 2012

A New Chapter

Between my Google Reader--which is stuffed with crafting/sewing blogs, food blogs, gardening/homesteading blogs, and parenting blogs--and my library reading list, I have no shortage of inspiration. Every day, I read about people doing amazing things, but rarely do I follow through by bringing these ideas into my own life.

But one day in late June, I read a blog post that inspired me, because it helped me realize a simple truth about myself that I, for some reason, rarely acknowledge. I love to write.

And so, I started thinking. A tiny seed began to sprout and grow, and grow, and grow. And then, I made a decision, a very big one indeed.

I decided to write a novel.

Oddly enough, the vastness of this project managed to excite me rather than exhaust me--and that's how I knew it was right. I'm up to about 16,000 words now, and every time I sit down to write, I'm happy to be back in that world. It's a perfect outlet for my wandering mind, and I am having a great time with it.  

My book will be middle-grade/young adult fiction (though adults will probably enjoy it too). Adventure, intrigue, satire, a little sci-fi--oh yes, there will be lots going on! My goal is to have the first draft finished by Thanksgiving.

When I'm not writing (or working, or gardening, or cooking, or minding the children), I am reading. I've been enjoying some books on writing (this has been my favorite thus far, and this one is next on the reading list). These have served as a continual source of inspiration for this, my new project--an exciting new chapter for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment