Sunday, March 10, 2013

Away

The first thing I saw this morning when I opened my window was a bald eagle perched on a pole, head turning slowly, constantly, surveying the vast sea.

 The pole, sans eagle

I wish I could wake up to this sight every morning... but obviously, I am not at home. This weekend, a friend and I went away, just the two of us, to a marvelous beach house for a writing retreat. It is only the second time I've been away from the children overnight. Though I missed them (and Brett), we really had a grand time.

We camped out in the living room with our laptops, listening to the Head and the Heart on Pandora, writing (I'm now about 1/3 of the way through the second draft of my novel!). Whenever I'd get stuck trying to come up with the perfect word or sentence, I could just look out the window to watch the swooping sea birds, or the rippling blue ocean.

We walked down to a farm store and came back along the beach. We took off our shoes to feel sand between our toes.

We cooked dinner and lingered over our meal for a good hour (!), with a glass of wine (!!).




Now we are back. Now the work week begins. But we will start it refreshed, filled up with the memories of salty sea air and good food cooked together and words written well. Tomorrow when I wake, that bald eagle, miles away, may once more be perched on the pole, surveying the beach morning.


Someday, I'm sure, I'll see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment